What's the Big Idea?

Our intention is to provide a facility specific to Mexican literature, Hispanic publications, historical movies, and other artifacts for educational research enrichment.
Desired location within Stockton, the previous Fair Oaks Branch Library building which was closed in 2010.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Searching for other bilingual bookstores...

Searching further, I came across another bilingual bookshop, Libros Schmibros, in Los Angeles, CA Boyle Heights neighborhood. I’m excited to make time to look around this wonderful place soon!



David Kipen, a former book critic for the San Francisco Chronicle and former director of national reading initiatives at the National Endowment for the Arts, opened Libros Schmibros in July, 2010.
David writes an interesting article on his bookshop here: www.jewishjournal.com/cover_story/article/bringing_books_to_boyle_heights_20110713/

I had to smile at his comment, “A year ago, on July 19 (2010), I opened Libros Schmibros to the public. Nobody knew what to make of it at first — not my family and friends, not my new neighbors, really not me either.” I feel this sentiment as well right now knowing a bilingual bookstore should exist here in Stockton but no exact details yet. And I’m excited by that thought. I have no details and therefore the canvas is clear; ready to be developed by the community it will serve.

No comments :

Post a Comment